Why We’re Different
Making Higher Education Affordable
UniversityNow’s mission is to make a quality college education available and affordable to people everywhere. To accomplish this, we’re building a network of universities that represent the most affordable and accessible way for anyone to earn a college degree from an accredited U.S. university.
When we first embarked upon this mission, we brought together a world-class team of educators, entrepreneurs and technologists to answer the following question:
“How can we build a high-quality university for today’s world that could make higher education affordable and accessible for people everywhere?”
The answers we developed (and incorporated into our model from existing best practices) are as follows:
- Create a modern, adaptive learning platform that gives both faculty and students access to real-time information about student performance to increase student success;
- Open the learning platform and make our course content freely available for anyone to access online;
- Employ cutting-edge collaborative technologies, designed to facilitate student-to-instructor and student-to-student interaction to provide a more collaborative learning environment;
- Develop learning experiences and activities that facilitate a deeper and richer understanding of the material to improve student performance and achievement of learning outcomes;
- Use social media to increase user engagement and lower the cost of marketing (which represents one of the largest costs of most non-traditional universities) to reduce significantly non-instructional overhead;
- Build technologies to support and lower the cost of business processes to ensure costs remain low as the university grows; and
- Collaborate with other universities to develop innovative blended and online course delivery models.
By fundamentally lowering the cost of delivering higher education, we’re tackling one of the root causes driving skyrocketing tuition and student loan debt in the U.S. – while building a model that is widely accessible and scalable to meet the demands of today’s degree seekers.