Frequently Asked Questions
The College Works Scholarship Program
About the College Works Scholarship Program
- Who is eligible?
In order to qualify for the College Works Initiative, you must:
- Live or work in Oakland, Sacramento, or San Francisco, California. At the time of enrollment you must provide proof that you live and/or work in one of these cities (with a cable/cellphone bill, paystub, etc.)
- Qualify for tuition assistance benefits with your employer. At the time of enrollment, you must provide proof that you qualify for tuition assistance benefits with your employer (with a letter or email from your manager or Human Resources representative.)
- What are the steps for participating?
These are the basic steps to The College Works Scholarship Program:
- Confirm that you have Tuition Reimbursement: Check with your manager or Human Resources department to learn your company’s specific tuition reimbursement details.
- Call UniversityNow To Enroll: Please call (888) 588-6234 to enroll in courses at Patten University or New Charter University. You will pay the tuition costs upon enrolling. Tuition includes all books and there are no additional fees. There are several payment plans available.
- Employer Tuition Reimbursement: Your employer will reimburse you based on their requirements.
- Apply Scholarship: You will be charged up to the limit of your employer’s tuition reimbursement. The College Works Scholarship will be applied to cover all remaining costs.
- So.. is this really at no cost? What’s the catch?
Yes, this really is at no cost. You will have to pay for tuition out of pocket up to the amount your employer offers reimbursement. Let’s say you're employer offers $1000 in reimbursement annually. We will limit your tuition to $1000 per year. This means you’ll pay $1000, get reimbursed from your employer, and the rest of tuition will be paid for by the scholarship. Tuition includes all books and there are no additional fees.
- How do I find out if I am eligible for tuition reimbursement?
Please contact your manager or Human Resources department to learn if you qualify for tuition reimbursement and at what amount.
- How do I get reimbursed?
Reimbursement is handled between you and your employer. Before signing up for the scholarship, you need to understand the specifics of your employer’s tuition reimbursement program. Often, companies have varying levels of tuition reimbursement and different requirements for how and when you receive reimbursement. It is your responsibility to handle the reimbursement transaction with your employer.
- Does this cost my employer anything?
There is no cost for employers to participate in the College Works Scholarship Program, and it provides employers with the potential to improve workforce productivity as well as recruitment and retention by providing their workers with fully-reimbursable degree attainment opportunities.
- What is UniversityNow?
UniversityNow’s mission is to make a quality college education available and affordable to people everywhere. To accomplish this, we are building a network of universities that represent the most affordable and accessible way for anyone to earn a college degree from an accredited U.S. university.
- Why is UniversityNow Launching The College Works Initiative?
We launched this effort because of our strong desire to address the crisis facing working adults in the US who are taking on a ton of student debt. UniversityNow is uniquely positioned to offer non-traditional students the opportunity to earn an accredited, high-quality college education that won’t leave them saddled with debt.
Did you know...?
- Outstanding student loan debt for adults over 30 is currently $610 billion
- Since 2005, the number of adults over 50 with student loan debt has doubled
- 60% of all new jobs in the U.S. will require a college degree
- Why are mayors partnering with UniversityNow to offer this scholarship program?
Mayors are standing behind UniversityNow because they are empowering their constituents to seek further education and improve the workforce of their community.
- Where can I learn more about UniversityNow’s schools?
Both New Charter University and Patten University are accredited institutions that offer high-quality online programs, great faculty, and a focus on each individual student. Patten University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) -- the same organization that accredits Stanford University, the University of California, and other universities. New Charter University is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC) -- the same organization that accredits Western Governors University, Ellis University, and other universities. Feel free to visit our websites to learn more about course offerings, degree programs, etc.